Oh, it's that crazy lady with the camera... AGAIN!

These poor kids. I don't know what they did to merit a punishment as bad as having to sit through two portrait sessions in a week. They were so good regardless. It's getting really hard to entertain them, though, because they've heard all my jokes, and they see right through me. Kids are so honest - I love it! Maybe that's why I love serious expressions in portraits. Even though smiles are great to look at, and I know that most people want to be remembered as being happy, I feel like a pensive or even tired look has so much more story in it. I remember seeing an image that fellow photographer took of a little boy crying his eyes out, throwing a temper-tantrum. At first the business-woman in me (who, incidentally, rarely gets her say) said, "Boy, that kid's mom is not going to buy a wall portrait of that image!" Then, the artist in me said, "But that's how she will remember that two-year-old on that day, and it will be precious to her anyway!" I don't know, what do you think? Do you prefer smiling portraits, or do you prefer any other expression? Let me know.
BTW, K, you're kids are so stinkin cute... even if they do think I'm akin to the Wicked Witch of the West with a camera.








Comments

Ann Marie said…
They do look darling! ~ And I prefer pictures that are not always smiling! I say capture the moment! :)
Suzanne said…
Well done Kris! I agree capture the moment! BTW - whenever you have that book finished, I would love to just look at it!
Me said…
These are awesome. I love the one of Trae with his serious look. The only problem is I am going to have a really hard time deciding what to do.