Special Events Questions

I have received several questions about the Springtime Special Events coming up in April, so I thought this would be a good place to post and answer some of those questions. If you want to ask me a question, you can either post it here in the comments section, or send it to me via e-mail: kris@kdportraits.com:

Q: How do I reserve an Event Session?
A: Call me {(801) 556-1661} to see which times are still available, and then send in the Event Investment as a deposit to hold your appointment. I accept checks, cash, and credit cards via PayPal. Don't forget tax!

Q: What if I change my mind?
A: Because I may have to turn people down who want to participate in an event, the deposit is non-refundable.

Q: What if I have a family member pass away, or I get in a car accident, or I get West Nile Virus, or I suddenly have to put my family in the Witness Protection Program?
A: I'm not an ogre here, people. Talk to me!

Q: Can I use my Referral Certificate towards an event?
A: ABSOLUTELY!

Q: What if there's bad weather?
A: As with all location sessions, I will treat the weather as "wait and see." Nine times out of ten, I can still create portraits in bad weather, and the downtown gardens have a lot of architecture that acts as shelter, so I will do everything in my power to still create portraits. If it just becomes impossible, though, I will probably add a "make-up" day to the event so that anyone can reschedule if they want. Of course, your deposit will be refunded if you aren't 100% satisfied with what I create.

Q: What if the Event is sold out?
A: I will be making a waiting list for anyone who is interested in an Event, but couldn't reserve a session. If I do have any cancellations, I will notify the first person on the list. Additionally, these clients will receive first choice of times for the next Event.

Q: What should I wear?
A: For the Black and White Studio Event: I will have both high-key and low-key backdrops available, so dark or light colors are great. You should stick with solid colors, since patterns can be distracting, and long sleeves also look best in the studio. Remember that a black and white portrait should be all about the face, so stay away from anything that will draw attention away from that. For the Garden Event: this Event is all about Spring! Pastels, dresses, gloves, straw hats, ribbons, bow-ties, the whole Easter thing. Tasteful props that go with the theme can add to the artistic vision, but remember to stay away from anything that dates or dominates the portrait, or seems out of place (no live animals!) For both events: If you are coordinating a group, remember that one person shouldn't stand out from the others, so even though everyone doesn't have to be wearing the exact same thing, they should be in the same tonal range. A good way to do this is to lay out all the clothes on a bed or floor, stand back, and see if anything jumps out at you.

Q: Can I change clothes during the session?
A: In the studio it's not a problem, but on location, since you have to go inside a building, and it takes a lot of time, I discourage it.

Q: How many people can you fit into a session?
A: In the studio, I can do groups of up to 5 or 6 at a time. If you're interested in a large group, I can do several smaller groups and composite them for the final image. The first black and white photo in my family gallery, as well as the balloon hat portrait are examples of this. The downtown gardens accommodate groups up to 20.

Comments